Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thankful Thursday

   This is something new, and I have read a couple of blogs today that practically brought tears to my eyes.  These blogs were by knitters, but not necessarily about knitting.  Quite honestly I have much to be thankful for.  If I had a propensity toward Christian sentimentalism I would say that I am truly blessed.  But, as a lapsed Unitarian I guess should say I am one lucky chick.  Here goes, what I am Thankful for:

  1.  First and foremost my dearly beloved husband.  He not only supports me ( financially as well as emotionally), he puts up with me.  How he manages to do that with relatively few complaints I really don't know. I am not an easy person to live with, but then again, neither is he.







   2.  My children.  I am particularly lucky in this category.  Each child has  his/her idiosyncrasies, but none of them has landed them in jail, rehab or the witness protection program, yet. Both of them seem to be doing exactly what my mother expected of me; paddling their own canoe.  One is still in college, but he seems to be on the right track so far, though I might encourage him to buy a powerball ticket once in  a while. The other is earning more money  per year than I ever imagined, and she actually likes what she does. ( The third kid is Bob the Boyfriend, he has been around  long enough for me to feel a sense of ownership; he owns a bar, need I  say more?)
   3.  My pets.  I know, that is pretty silly, but I have two corgis and three kitties and I spend a lot of time with them.  I enjoy them and they love me, unconditionally.  Of course, I feed them, walk them, clean their litter boxes.  True love.
   4.  Yarn and fiber.  I worked at jobs off and on for 36 years that where just that, jobs. Some better than others, but I only had one job that I was really passionate about, and that was also my most problematic and stressful job.  But I was good at it, and I was appreciated.  Now I spin , knit and weave.  Well, maybe not so much weave, but I have good intentions.  And I am pretty darn good at it.  I am beginning to really understand the spinning process, to experiment with unusual fibers and non-standard spinning methods, and to actually attempt to use the millions of miles of yarn that I have produced.  Every day I look forward to spinning and knitting.  Maybe not so much weaving, yet.

   5.  My home.  I am in the unique and unusual position of  being the 7th generation of my family to live in this house.  Yep, my 6 times great grand-father homesteaded this Vermont hillside in 1783, the house I live in was built in 1791, and has been added onto in 1835, 1938 ( by my father) and 2002( by my husband).  That is pretty darn special.

   And for all these things I am eternally grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment